Do you love the delicious popcorn you get at the movie theatre? Do you wish you could recreate that perfectly crispy popcorn at home? Let me explain how to choose a popcorn machine and show you the best popcorn makers of 2021.
Why You Should Trust My Opinion On The Best Popcorn Makers
- Cookbook Author: I've written 5 Instant Pot Cookbooks and 2 Air Fryer Cookbooks so I've spent more than my fair share of time in the kitchen.
- Efficient: That's the only way I know how to do things in the kitchen. Who has time to waste when you're trying to get food on the table? I'm known for my ruthless efficiency and use the pot in pot cooking method every chance I get.
- Gadget geek!: I'm a self-proclaimed food tech enthusiast and have been known to purchase (and review) just about any kitchen appliance I can get my hands on.
What Should You Look For In A Popcorn Machine?
One of the most important things to take into consideration when you're choosing a popcorn maker is how thoroughly it pops your popcorn. No one wants a pan full of kernels or to waste a ton of popcorn because it didn't pop.
Another thing you need to consider when you're shopping for the perfect popcorn machine is how easy it is to use. Some of the popcorn poppers on the market can be tricky to use and require several steps to pop your kernels. Make sure you do your research how they work before you commit to buying.
What Are The Different Types Of Popcorn Machines?
There are three different types of popcorn machines you can choose from. Depending on how much effort you want to put into popping the perfect bowl of popcorn, you can choose from the following types of popcorn makers:
How To Choose The Best Popcorn For Popping
If you're new to popping your own popcorn at home you may be led to believe that all popcorn is created equal. I'll be the first person to tell you that is simply not the case.
There is a multitude of different types of popcorn kernels to choose from on the market. Some have different seasonings, some have added oils, some are organic, and some are more affordable than others.
I've tried a variety of different types of popcorn kernels and I have a few favorites. They are:
- Great Northern Popcorn Kernels
- Bob's Red Mill Whole White Popcorn Kernels
- Orville Redenbacher's Gourmet Popcorn Kernels
- Benchmark Popcorn Kernels
What Is The Best Recipe For A Popcorn Machine?
While there are at least a million different ways to make popcorn (I know because I've tried at least half of them), over the years I have come up with the perfect recipe.
Here's my favorite popcorn recipe:
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon flavacol
- 1/4 cup of popcorn kernels
Best Popcorn Makers Of 2021
Can I Use My Instant Pot To Pop Popcorn?
While you technically CAN use your Instant Pot to pop popcorn with a glass lid, I have found it gives very inconsistent results. The inside of the pot doesn't heat up quite enough or evenly enough to completely pop the kernels. This leaves you with a pan full of unpopped kernels. This can be terribly frustrating when you're expecting to sit down with a bowl of popcorn for movie night.
Want More Helpful Buying Guides?
- An Essential Guide To Copper Cookware
- Best Rice Cookers Of 2020
- How To Choose A Blender
- The Best Baking Pans of 2020
- How To Choose A Slow Cooker
- How To Choose An Air Fryer
- Food Processor Vs. Blender - Which Should You Choose?
- How To Choose A Food Processor
- Kitchen Gadgets For Foodies
- How To Choose A Waffle Iron
- The Best Spatulas For Every Job
- Which Mandoline Slicer Should You Choose
- The Best Dash Kitchen Appliances
If you found this article on how to choose a popcorn machine and the best popcorn makers of 2021 helpful, make sure you share it on Facebook and Pinterest so they can choose the right one too.
Originally Published October 30, 2020