Have you been toying with the idea of Sous Vide for a while but aren't sure what to do? Have you done your research but aren't sure where to find everything you need to get started? With my list of Sous Vide Accessories, you'll be cooking your favorite foods with the Sous Vide method in no time.
What Is The Point Of Sous Vide?
- Evenly Cooked. The biggest advantage of sous vide is evenly cooked food. When you cook on the stovetop or grill, the outer surface of the food gets cooked hard and fast--but the center of the food takes longer to cook. So what you end up with, is a dish that's too well done on the outside, and done just right only on the inside. In contrast, when you sous vide something, ALL of the dish is at the same temperature.
- No Guesswork. Sous vide takes all the guesswork out of how to cook things like steak to perfection. Just set your sous vide machine to the appropriate temperature and let it do all the work for you! No wondering if it's cooked to the appropriate doneness. No having to babysit the grill, oven or stovetop to make sure you don't overcook your steak.
- Cook Ahead. You can make proteins like steak 1-2 hours in advance, and just let it rest while you do something else. Just sear it when ready and it's freshly done.
- Meal Prep. You can make dishes days ahead of time. Then, when you're ready, just bring it back up to the temperature you started with---and it will just heat but not overcook.
- Longer-lasting. Your first cook killed all the bacteria in the meat, so it lasts longer in your fridge, but it won't overcook or dry out when you're ready to cook.
- Moist Food. Since you're cooking in a contained, closed environment, any moisture that the food releases gets saved in the bag rather than evaporating. Not only does this make for a more flavorful sauce, but it's also less likely to dry proteins.
- Safer Cooking. Apart from the searing part for proteins like steak, there aren't hot surfaces and high temperatures involved.
- Minimal Cleanup. Since the food is completely contained in a plastic bag during the cooking process, there is no need to clean the pot of water you sous vide the food in.
- Taste. Really guys, even if NONE of the things above I said were true? You'd sous vide food for one reason only--it will be some of the BEST food you've ever had.
Do I Need Sous Vide Accessories?
Do you need sous vide accessories? In short, yes. At least a few. Even the best sous vide stick needs a few things to produce delicious food. At the very least you'll need these things:
- A sous vide stick
- A container to sous vide in
- Plastic bags to put your food in
- Clips to hold your bag in place while the food cooks
That's just the basics. If you want to kick up your sous vide game another notch or two, grab one of the Sous Vide accessories I've listed below.
Best Sous Vide Accessories
What Is The Best Container For Sous Vide?
You can use a sous vide stick in any heat safe container. One thing you need to remember when you cook using the sous vide method is that you need to be able to fully submerge the food you're cooking and that the water has room to move freely around the food.
Something with tall sides and has a fairly large capacity (without being too big) is going to be the best container for cooking with your sous vide stick.
How Do You Cook With The Sous Vide Method?
Are you new to cooking with the Sous Vide Method? The name is a lot more intimidating than the technique. Here are the basics on Sous Vide Cooking:
- Find a heat safe container that is deep enough to fully submerge the food
- Place the food in a food safe plastic bag and remove as much air as possible
- Place plastic bag of food in the heat safe container and attach the bag to the side of the container
- Insert Sous Vide Stick and set time and temperature
- Cook until done
Watch The Video
What Are The Best Foods To Sous Vide?
- Beef, Fish, Pork, and Chicken. The most common thing that is cooked with this method is meat. The great thing about this process is that it does a fantastic job of infusing the meat with the flavors of any marinade, herbs, or seasonings you use.
- The meat comes out more moist. There are plenty of leftover juices that can be used to make a sauce. And you ensure that the meat is cooked perfectly to your preferred doneness. It also does a great job of making tougher cuts of meat super tender.
- Eggs. Another one of the most popular things cooked using this method, eggs come out perfect every time.
- You can ensure that your eggs are your preferred texture. Set the machine to the exact temperature needed without fear of having sections of the eggs that will over or undercooked.
- There's also no need to babysit the eggs since they'll never exceed the temperature you set the machine to.
- Veggies. It's a wonderful method of cooking vegetables. It leaves carrots and asparagus crisp and firm.
- You can rest easy knowing that they'll come out perfectly crisp and cooked. No fear that they'll turn to mush from being overcooked.
- Custard-Like Desserts. You've simply never truly experienced cheesecake until you've had sous vide cheesecake.
- This method is great for custardy desserts like cheesecake, creme brulee, pandan custards, and pumpkin pie. Or anything else you want to have a perfectly creamy consistency.
Grab One Of My Instant Pot Cookbooks
Want More Useful Gadget Reviews?
- Instant Pod Coffee & Espresso Maker
- Misen Santoku Knife Review
- Instant Pot Ace Blender Review
- Instant Pot Mini Duo Review
- Chef's Choice 615A Meat Slicer Review
- How To Use A Food Saver
- How To Choose An Instant Pot
- KitchenAid Nespresso Espresso Maker
- Instant Zest Rice Cooker
- Souper Cubes
- Skoy Dish Scrubbers
- Sous Vide Accessories
- Phillips Starfish Technology Air Fryer Review
- Nutrimill Artiste Review
If you found this list of Sous Vide Accessories helpful, please share this on Facebook and Pinterest so your friends can find the best sous vide accessories to make their time in the kitchen a little bit easier too.
Originally Published September 16, 2020